Monday, April 20, 2015

Modern Art Blog Post #10: Roy Lichtenstein

Roy Lichtenstein
Drowning Girl
1963
Oil and synthetic polymer paint on canvas

Drowning Girl is a pop art piece by Roy Lichtenstein also known as Secret Hearts and I don't care! I'd rather Sink!. It's a part of series he did from 1962 to 1964. It's been a part of the Museum of Modern Art's collection since 1971. The source is actually derived from a comic book, Secret Hearts in 1962. I love the mid '60s comic book art style and how Lichtenstein took the cheesy comics for boys and made them into art pieces for adults. The sharp lines and bright colors are very interesting to me. I also like his painting Whaam!, very dark with a splash of color and his use of dots which are some of the defining characteristics of comic books. Drowning Girl is considered to be Lichtenstein's most significant piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment