Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Dangerous Liaisons

René Magritte. Dangerous Liaisons. 1926. Oil on canvas.



I chose this painting by René Margritte because I found it interesting. It shows a woman trying to cover her naked body with a mirror but she is unsuccessful because the mirror shows her reflection, with her back to the audience.  I like the partial view of the woman’s face just above the mirror; she almost looks ashamed but at the same time peaceful. I also like the simple background and the shadows. After doing some research, I found that some people believe that an 18th century French novel inspired the painting.  They believe the painting is named after the novel and illustrates one of the characters. In the novel, two rival lovers use sex as a weapon to humiliate the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment